I learned from Maria Madora at the long hair salon in NYC how to grow my hair long. I went to that salon for many years to during which my hair did indeed grow long and beautiful. If you are in the NYC area and can go to the Salon, that would be great! They do a consultation to evaluate your particular situation and give you specific recommendations for your hair. This is how I got started. I went regularly for the hair treatments, used the products and used their combs. They are the best.
Over the years I moved away, life got busy and I went looking for ways to do some of what they taught me outside of the salon. I also looked for ways to keep to the vegetarian, chemical and toxin free life I was building.
Here are the basic rules I follow, more details later.
1) keep the hair you have ( how to comb )
2) keep the scalp clean ( wash often! )
3) if I cant eat it i will not put it on my hair or body ( products, toxin free living )
4) be gentle ( styles, rubber bands, hair dryers, curling irons, and yes combing again )
5) feed the hair and scalp ( healthy scalp makes more hair, healthy hair does not break )